Pages

Wednesday 27 April 2022

SX. LEWIS ASSUMES THE CROSS FOR THE SECOND TIME

After the things above stated, it happened that the king loaned all his barons to Paris during a certain Lent 267). I excused myself on account of a quartan fever hitch I then had, and begged him to super me to remain vary. But he sent me word that he insisted that I should time, because he had with him good physicians who well new how to cure quartan fever.


To Paris I went. When I came thither on the night of the vigil of our Lady in March, I found no one, neither the queen or any other, who could tell me why I had been summoned y the king. Now it chanced, as God so willed, that I slept ; ruing matins; and me seemed, while I slept, that I saw the king before an altar, on his knees; and me seemed further late many prelates, duly vested, were vesting him with a ;d chasuble of Rheims serge.


After seeing this vision I called my Lord William, my rest, who was very wise, and told him of the vision. And e said to me: “ Lord, you will see that the king will take le cross to-morrow.” I asked him why he thought so. nd he told me he thought so because of the dream that I ad dreamed; for the chasuble of red serge signified the ross, which was red with the blood that God shed from His ie, and His feet, and His hands. “ And for that the risible is of Rheims serge,” said he, “ that signifies that le Crusade shall be of little profit, as you shall see if God vies you life tour bulgaria.”


Never believe me if the king


When I had heard mass at the Magdalen in Paris, I went ) the king’s chapel and found the king, who had gone up the affording where were the relics, and was causing the true ross to be taken down. While the king was coming down, two knights, who were of his council, began to speak to one another; and the one said: “Never believe me if the king ; not crossing himself here.” And the other made answer: If the king crosses himself, this will be one of the most colorous days that ever were in France. For if we do not ace the cross, we shall lose the king’s favor; and if we take the cross we shall lose God’s favor, because we shall not take it for His sake, but for the sake of the king.”


So it happened that on the following day the king tool the cross, and his three sons with him; and afterwards I befell that the Crusade was of little profit, according to the prophecy of my priest.


Much was I pressed by the King of France, and the Kin; of Navarre, to take the cross. To this I replied that while I was in the service of God and of the king overseas, am since I had returned, the sergeants of the King of France am of the King of Navarre had ruined and impoverished m; people, so that, to all time, I and they would lie the pore for it. And I told them this, that if I wished to do what was pleasing to God, I should remain here, to help am defend my people; and if I put my body in danger in the pilgrimage of the cross, while seeing quite clearly that the would be to the hurt and damage of my people, I should move God to anger, Who gave His body to save His people


I held that all those who advised the king to go on the expedition committed mortal sin; for at the point at which France then was, all the kingdom was at good peace wit itself and with its neighbors, while ever since he departed the state of the kingdom has done nothing but go from ba to worse.


Great was the sin of those who advised the king to go, see king how weak he was of his body,’ for he could bear neither t be drawn in a chariot, nor to ride. So great was his weal ness that-he suffered me to dairy him in my arms from th mansion of the Count of Auxerre, where I took leave of him to the abbey of the Franciscans. And yet, weak as he was, he had remained in France he might have lived longer, an done much good, and many good works.

No comments:

Post a Comment